When the glue is nearly ready to bond, instead of trying to locate the large wobbly sheet of veneer accurately on top of the plywood it is easier to carefully lower the plywood on top of the Teak, to the guidelines already drawn. The Teak can then be trimmed to remove it from the whole sheet, turned over and smoothed using a wide blade plasterer’s trowel. This is better than a roller, because most rollers are attached only at one end and pressure is therefore bound to be a little uneven. A wide blade trowel has the handle in the middle, which allows even pressure over the whole blade as it is drawn along the veneer from the center outwards. This squeezes all the air out and minimizes the chance of future bubbling of the veneer.
I trimmed the edges using my handheld router with a 1/2” straight cutter, then edged the hatch with 1/4” wide teak, along with a brass lifting handle to match the rest of the hatches. The veneered board looked superb, but the job was only half done...
Now came the tricky bit.
I somehow had to make thirteen 3/8” wide wood strips and set them into the teak veneered plywood. However, I couldn’t find any actual Holly timber anywhere locally, or even on the web. The actual type of wood didn’t matter that much, so long as it was a hardwood and the right shade to match the existing floor. The nearest match I could find was Maple, in 48” long sheets 1/8” thick. Maple is also a white wood like Holly, and some boats have Teak and Maple floors, so I wasn’t bothered what it was called because it matched the existing floor extremely well.
I set up my bench saw with a new 60 tooth 10” diameter carbide tipped blade which cuts thin timber very cleanly. Using the table saw and its guide I carefully cut thirteen strips out of the sheet, each exactly 3/8” wide. This produced strips 3/8” x 1/8” to form the inlay floor strips.
The next process was to machine grooves in the teak board to take the strips. For this I used my hand-held router, fitted with a 3/8” plunge cutter which I set to produce a 1/8” deep cut. I taped the end of my vacuum hose to the router to suck shavings out from the tool and prevent them building up in the groove.
I placed the router level with the center of where I wanted the first groove, then tightly clamped a stout straight timber board to the floorboard to act as a guide. It was then just a matter of slowly pushing the router along the guide—and a little heart pounding for the first cut. The result was a perfectly straight 3/8” wide groove down the length of the teak board. I repeated this process with a 21/8” space between until I had all the grooves machined.
I used Titebond premium wood glue to bond the strips into the grooves, which only needed a tap with a mallet to seat them level with the veneer. I let the glue harden for 24 hours, then lightly sanded the whole sheet with my belt sander with 120 grit. These 1/8” deep strips will be very wear resistant, because by contrast, the strips in the existing cabin sole are only the same thickness as the Teak veneer, about 1/32” .
I rolled on a first coat of Cetol clear marine wood varnish, thinned with mineral spirits, then two unthinned coats, without sanding between coats. Not only does this produce a thicker coverage for floor protection, but also produces a non-slip surface because the un-sanded wood leaves a slightly coarse finish, but which can hardly be felt even with bare feet, yet it also results in a glossy finish.
I then decided to glue a layer of thermal insulation to the underside of the board to minimize heat coming through from the engine area. For this I used 2” thick Rmax Thermasheath foam insulation board with aluminum foil on one face. This has an insulation rating of R6, which is the highest available for this thickness of foam. I glued it to the underneath of the floor using Liquid Nails construction adhesive, which does not melt the foam. The new floor was then carefully slid in place and matched the existing sole perfectly. I screwed it down and filled the countersunk holes with Teak plugs—job done!
The whole project was a back-aching sort of job with a lot of kneeling down and sawing, but well worth the effort to match the existing sole. I’m sure it would not have looked right had I used an odd size ready-made Teak flooring. Using veneer was also much cheaper than buying Teak faced plywood. I even had a big piece of veneer left over, which I used to repair other parts of Britannia’s Teak.