However, the only space big enough for the washer was where the old fridge had fitted. This is very heavy at 148lbs, and also bulky, being roughly two feet square and three feet high. It was a major effort for three men to haul it on board, and it only just slid through the companionway doors with fractions to spare. I had previously cut a larger aperture where the fridge had been, and we managed to lever the washer into this space very neatly.
Piping the washer to the boats hot and cold pressure system, and making an overflow pipe was another matter. The space was completely sealed within the double skin of the boat and it took at lot of drilling and cutting to get the pipes through, and an overflow out. I installed shut-off valves on the hot and cold supply as a safety measure, in case the washing machine inlet valve failed. I also had to route a four inch dryer exhaust pipe angled downwards near the aft engine room blower outlet. This was to vent hot air out of the dryer and needed a gauze filter on the end to catch any lint which comes off the clothing.
This left the new refrigerator without a home, but behind the aft cabin door was a large hanging locker going right back to the hull, just the right size for the fridge. The problem with this was, it placed the fridge in the aft cabin and made it very awkward to get to because the door was in the way. Who wants a fridge in an aft cabin anyway—unless it’s full of beer?
It’s a fact—on boats, one alteration usually leads to another, and another.....
I cut the whole bulkhead and door frame out, and repositioned it two feet back, so the fridge then became part of the galley. I didn’t loose any actual space either, because it was only a passageway to the aft cabin, and there are still plenty of hanging lockers in the cabin. It was only necessary to build a platform for the fridge, then wire it to a breaker on the main board.This alteration can be seen on the before and after drawings
I knew the microwave would fit into an aperture on the galley counter, so it mealy needed wiring into the system, and all four major appliances were finally installed.
My wife found a very nice twin stainless sink on-line but it wasn’t the exact size as the old sink. This meant fitting a new counter top, and naturally she didn’t want one section different to the other two. So we went shopping for Corrian work-tops and a supplier who could cut precise shapes to fit the sink section, the cooker top, and the washer section.
We found a local kitchen remodeling company who could cut the three pieces out of three quarters of an inch Corrian, and put a nice rounded bevel on the exposited edges. First I had to make precise templates out of cardboard, to which they would cut. The sink template was critical, because it also included a cut-out for the top of the ice box, which was moulded into the side of the hull and which I converted into a proper chest freezer.
While we were waiting for the counter tops to be made I moved the four recessed drawers and the locker under the cooker outwards five inches, so they are now all level with the cooker.
There was previously no garbage bin, so I built a large one, pivoting outwards from the end of the galley with a waste bag on clips for easy removal.
The care I took to make the templates, and my instance upon accuracy by the supplier, paid off handsomely. All three work tops fitted precisely over the top of the old scratched Formica counters and instantly transformed the galley. A beautiful chrome mixer faucet, with pull-out and spray completed this area.
It simply remained to fit teak fiddles on all exposed edges, install a couple of extra power plugs and clean up the small doors above the stove, and we had a fabulous new modern kitchen.
When I installed air conditioning I deflected some of the air into the galley area, to help keep it cool.
This kitchen is now as neat and efficient as any small apartment. Not bad, considering we started with rust spots on the sink.